Saturday, April 20, 2013

Fantasy vs. Reality


The wind in my face as it brushes past the sails.  The sun is warm and the ocean below is turquoise and clear.  There is land in the distance, but mostly I am surrounded by water.  Relaxed and calm.  This is me suspended in my fantasy life aboard a sailing vessel.  I follow several blogs about others living this life and I am charmed.  Mesmerized.

And then the screeching halt into REALITY.  First, there is the learning.  I am slowly working through Sailing for Dummies.  I realize just how much there is too learn.  The terminology, the procedures, weather, navigation, etc.  There is nothing romantic about a boatyard in winter.   Our boat sits in a cradle, covered in a homemade cover.  Andrew is constantly driving out to see if the storms had blown it off.  It feels grey and lonely, with the only real sounds being the clanging of the lines hitting the mast on all the boats that are also in storage.  

Andrew really wants me to be excited.  But, as of yet it is hard to see the beauty of sailing.  As for the grey, lonely boatyard, Andrew and I looked and discussed many options for a boat slip.  He is the no frills kind of guy.  No amenties needed as long as he is in the water.  Me - I need a shower, bathroom, possibly club house.  It is these comforts that will make it possible for me to stay comfortably on the boat for a weekend.  After searching, we decided to stay where the boat was stored when we bought it.  

So now I may need to come to terms with my dreams and the reality that I am facing.  But as the sun starts to warm up I am ready to start working towards that dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment